How to cope with an essay on creative writing using bedtime stories?
If you know many bedtime stories or even tell them to your siblings or kids, you are lucky. You are even luckier if you study creative writing. Bedtime storytelling is one of the most underrated elements when it comes to writing creative narratives.
One might say that bedtime stories are excessively simple to use when writing essays. However, it doesn’t correlate with the real state of affairs. Let’s discuss how bedtime stories can help you write an essay on creative writing.
Spot big patterns
Bedtime stories usually have significant patterns, which distinguish them from other narratives. Think about every story; it has a large pattern. This is one of the most significant disadvantages, as you can use such a strategy in writing a paper.
Follow the same structure
We all know how fascinating bedtime stories are. They all are unusual, carry a different semantic load, have various characters and settings. Yet they have a similar item. And it’s called a structure. Many students choose to write a thesis paper in bedtime stories, as they have lots of implications and aren’t researched by scholars. Nonetheless, each and every story has five crucial components. Ignoring any of them will result in a failure. Therefore, the following structure will be beneficial when writing a creative writing essay:
- Build up
For instance, a bedtime story about adventures would be structured, as follows:
- Finding something precious.
- Chased by a villain.
- Hiding from the villain.
Use pertinent type to your essay
Bedtime stories are divided into eleven types. Each of them has a different pattern. Pay close attention to it and select the most suitable kind for your assignment.
These types with exclusive patterns are:
- Quests and journeys. The character’s looking for someone/something. There is a final point of destination, which can be from A to B or there and back again.
- Cumulative tales. This type has an emphasizing pattern. This type is widely used in storytelling for little kids. A story about three little girls carrying out the same task would be an example of such narratives.
- Warning stories. These stories focus on morals. The main character is warned not to do something, but he/she does and gets into trouble.
- Beating the Baddie. The most beloved stories by boys. Everything is perfectly fine until a threat pops up. By rigorous fights, this danger is overcome.
- Wishing tales. When someone wishes something but this is unattainable.
- To speak nothing of this type. Everyone knows Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella Stories, and Harry Potter. When a shift appears, it doesn’t only change a character’s physical side. It also changes the mindset and feelings.
- Dangerous settings. Forbidden grounds, gloomy setting.
- Losing and finding. A character loses and/or finds something valuable.
- A character must be liberated.
- Meeting someone. A character meets someone, which leads to a problem.
- Character Flaw. When a character is sympathetic but has disadvantages in behavior or alike.
Good building blocks
Even though bedtime stories may seem straightforward, they are well-organized and coherent. To make them sound like this, writers use specific building blocks. They determine where paragraphs should be extended, where to slow down, or, on the contrary, where to speed up. That said, a long section may slow the action, whereas one punchy sentence can accelerate events.
That is why it’s essential to know the purpose of an essay. Knowing it, you will build up your paragraphs to raise suspense, action, hiding, lulling the reader into security, chasing, etc. This is vital because these blocks identify your opening and concluding sentences. These sentences are the most important in bedtime stories, as they leave the strongest impression.
Make your characters real
Everyone who used to listen to bedtime stories in childhood remembers those vividly portrayed characters. This happens not only because we had a great time listening to such narratives. Characters are distinctive in bedtime stories. This is because of simple hints. First and foremost, when writing a creative essay, remember to drop a couple of pieces of information regarding the person’s appearance. For instance, The man, dressed in a battered suit, gave food to the beggar. It’s crucial to provide the reader with this information, which will help identify the character’s purpose, what he/she will do, say, and think.
As such, take a look at how to depict a character in the right way:
- Come up with a suggestive name. Mr. Morrison, for example.
- Throw in a few descriptive details.
- Analyze how the individual is feeling.
- Draw a parallel between what they say and do.
- Disclose their thoughts.
- Remember the character’s goal.
Insert impactful dialogs
As children, we used to pay attention to talks, trying to replay them in our heads. We imagined how something hissed, yelled, or whispered. The same goes for writing an essay for a creative writing class. Make sure to add robust yet concise dialogs. The following handy tricks will help you compose powerful dialogs:
- Demonstrate how a character feels in what they say
- Attach weighty speech verbs – hissed, whispered, etc.
- Write it a passive voice – he stated calmly
- highlight the character’s movements when speaking – No, he whispered, gnashing his teeth
- Do not make dialogs extended
Create an atmospheric setting
It goes without saying that a splendid setting makes the reader dive into the story. Indeed, by adding relevant details, you can astound the reader. Bedtime stories are rich in prepositions and adjectives. Besides, they like to depict the location through the character’s eyes. Stick to this strategy to make sure the environment is described well. To remind you of the practical ways, have a glance:
- sensory details
- showcase the scene through someone’s eyes
- introduce something that is not reachable right now but will be further on
- tell what is there
- use prepositions to make the setting clearer
Creative writing can be challenging. However, if you are heavily into bedtime stories, you can alleviate your struggles at the drop of a hat. Follow the tips, as mentioned above, and you will compose a peerless paper.